After forcing an evacuation of the restaurant last Tuesday due to a small kitchen fire the Gemma restaurant at the Bowery Hotel has reopened for business.
The fire broke out at about 11am on Tuesday in the restaurant’s kitchen, forcing patrons out of the restaurant. Luckily the fire was not out of control and the rest of the building did not need to be evacuated.
New York City FireDepartment Deputy Chief Jim Hodgens explained the situation:
“We evacuated some of the building. It was just contained to that duct work in the kitchen that extended up to the upper floors, but we didn’t evacuate the whole building.”
Thankfully no one was hurt in the fire.